Trauma Mama Daily Affirmation Day 1

Long time readers will remember that instead of giving up something for Lent, I try to find something positive to do. I wasn't raised Catholic and am not particularly religious, but I think spending 40 days working on making a positive change in yourself or the world is not a bad idea.

This year, I am going to focus on daily trauma mama affirmations. That is, each day to repeat to myself throughout the day a wise nugget of parenting advice that can help me on my journey of parenting a child with trauma.

Today's affirmation is let it go.

"Let it go" means not taking T's behavior or words personally. He got a crappy draw in life and he's justifiably angry about it. So when his anger comes out at me, I need to just let it go. Which doesn't mean ignoring it; it means recognizing and affirming it, but not taking it personally and not letting it push my buttons.

Let it go.

And you knew this was coming. But it's a good earworm for me today and every day:

Let it Go from Frozen

….the wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Heaven knows I've tried….

….here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on….

….the past is in the past….

Let it go, let it go.


Comments

  1. You know I'm singing along! At this very minute as my son climbs his indoor climber with a sandwich on a (plastic) plate while screaming that I'm the worst in the world for turning off the tv, let it go, let it go, la la la....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

The Last Time