Attachment in Adoption -- Top Eight Don'ts

More from our seminar with Dr. Eshleman, who shared this list:

Top Eight Don'ts for Parents Working Through Attachment in Adoption:

1) Don't take your child's behavior personally.

2) Don't get into blaming

3) Don't doubt yourself. You are your child's expert.

4) Don't always accept the first diagnosis.

5) Don't give up hope.

6) Don't go beyond your limits -- don't overstress yourself.

7) Don't believe that one person cannot do anything to make a difference.

8) Don't forget to join a network. I personally am on several listservs. I also found out about a support group in our area for adoptive moms. Dr. Eshleman recommends the Attachment and Trauma Network, which I have not yet checked out.

Happy attaching!

Comments

  1. Thank you for these posts - I feel like I should bookmark them now, as I know I'll want to reference them later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number one was a tough one for me. I did take his behavior personally in the beginning -- one of my huge regrets for not having been directed toward this information before bringing my child home. But I'm not going to play the blame game -- I just keep trying to get the word out there for others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

What's Working