Attachment in Adoption - A Short Story

I'm not going to say that using the tips we learned at the attachment seminar has created a life of sunshine and daisies for us, but we may be making progress. The other night, T wanted to play games on my computer. I agreed to let him play for 20 minutes if he would play Connect Four with me afterward. He decided he'd rather play his matching game, so I agreed to that. So for 20 minutes, T played Cheetah Racer on the pbs.kids website. Then we played the matching game, and he once again blew me out of the water. I cannot beat him at that game, no matter how hard I try.

After he brushed his teeth and got his jammies on, and was heading toward the living room for our nightly fix of one PBS program or another, he turned around, hugged me, and said, "Thank you Mommy, for letting me use your computer and playing matching game with me."

A "WOW" moment! Cartwheels and handsprings!

Walking in the woods together -- another attempt at attachment work. Someone was doing a lot of complaining -- even though he'd come along voluntarily, but really brightened up 
when I showed him our shadows photo.

Comments

  1. So happy for you guys! It's a long and tough road, but it's great when you get to a point where you see some of the work paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate all these techniques you are sharing. Keep them coming, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet moment! Reminds me not to get too hung up in getting things done and instead do things that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

What's Working