A New Year

I know it's a roller coaster and I know there are downs after the ups. I know it's two steps forward, one step back.

But.

After being home with us for 11 days straight -- no school, no daycare -- every moment of every day spent with at least one of us in close proximity, T seems like a new kid.

A happy kid. I was dreading the 6:45 wake up call this morning, but he was chipper and cheerful. Did everything he needed to do with no nagging, stomping, pouting, or grumping. Held me tight and long before walking out the door chirping, "See you later, alligator!"

Eleven days of cocooning. Is that the magic elixir?

It's 8:35 a.m. He's on the bus on his way to school. And I miss him already. Seriously miss him.

I've gone to part time at work so that he can come straight home from school and spend one one one time with me -- time when I'm not cooking, cleaning, paying bills, running errands, doing laundry, and all those other, "I can't play with you right now" moments.

I've been torn between feeling hopeful that this time will be beneficial and wondering whether we'll end up at each other's throats. I'm now leaning toward the hopeful side. Optimistic that being poorer financially will mean we'll be richer as a family.

Fingers crossed.

Comments

  1. 11 Days was a magical elixir here too. Hoping it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for you. I love being around after school. I've found that my kids tell me a lot more about what happened at school when it's fresh in their minds than when I used to see them at 5:00. Hope the good continues with T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too had a wonderful break. M handled all the holiday-crazy incredibly well and just seems relaxed and happy. I hope the happy, contented vibe continues for you all! The ups and downs, back and fourth are wearing. You must relish and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

The Last Time