The Walk

One afternoon last week, after T finished his snack, I told him in my most cheerful voice we were going for a walk. Let the unhappy dance begin. "Walking is boring." I completely understand that. My preference would be to run, but he would whine the whole time about how slow I was running. So off we went, after arguing about whether or not he needed a coat ("It's HOT outside," he insisted, until... about a half mile into the walk at which point he started complaining about how cold he was -- and he was wearing his coat and hat and gloves).


He crabbed and complained during the whole walk. He lagged behind. He refused to answer questions about his day. I remained cheerful and smiling throughout, refusing to be dragged down -- even though my fingers and face were freezing too.

At the end when I told him he could run to our driveway, he declined. When I started running, he announced that he didn't need to run in order to beat me, and he started his racewalking. So I ran faster until he was goaded into running (and beating me). Walking into the house I thanked him with enthusiasm for walking with me. He grumped. Maybe even stomped.

That night in bed, I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. "Playing Mario Kart," he said. Then a pause. "And walking with you. I like being with you."

All to say: never give up. Never give up. Never ever give up.

Comments

  1. I love this story - you didn't give up, and it paid off. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. Good job, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an extremely moody child. My mom was often as you describe yourself during this walk. She as also often, grumpy and couldn't handle my moods. We are very close now and I know it's because in the past, when I really needed someone to show me how great the world was (when I was feeling like it really wasn't) she stood by me. It does mean the world to a child and it will be remembered. What a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love this. you're giving me hope, and some days that's a scarce commodity 'round these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never give up. Thanks for the reminder. Yesterday was a "giving up" kind of day, but I fought on. And today is a new day. :) (By the way, you used to follow my previous blog....)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

The Last Time