Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly




When I was younger, fall was my favorite season. It seemed, as I day-dreamed out the school windows, that the crimsons, golds, and fiery oranges were a painted canvas to be enjoyed for weeks on end. Now the leaves are a fleeting show of glorious colors one weekend only to be ripped off by a windstorm the next, leaving us to stare at a world of gray and white for the next seven months. Perhaps if I actually had a window to look out while working, I could contentedly watch the season ease into into its show throughout the weeks of September and October, until finally exploding into the grand finale -- and not feel so cheated when the leaves are so unceremoniously flung to the ground to make way for the coming snow.

Oh, autumn, to quote Marvell:

"...yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.
Thy beauty shall no more be found..."

So while I was at Green Lakes over the weekend, I took time to just soak in the colors, albeit with a five year old at my side peppering me with questions. "Why we stop here?" Why you take more pictures?" "When we going back?" "I'm freezing!" "What we eating for breakfast?" You know, the priorities. My stomach will be fed every day -- my eyes have a limited time to feast on these colors each year. But to the five year old, these colors probably seem to have been hanging around for weeks on end, and he was hungry. So we took one final look and then headed back up the trail to scrambled eggs and toast.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Barbaloot said, in her comment that I inadvertently half-way deleted was: Gorgeous! And you never know, in a few decades, that five year old might turn around and tell someone he has this wonderful memory of his mom taking him out to look at the leaves changing colour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Break My Heart

What's Working