Random Thoughts on My Christmas Gifts



1) The Connected Child by Karen Purvis (book): I've wanted to start reading this book ever since I finished up Adopting the Hurt Child. I'm two chapters in and finding great stuff -- that I wished I'd read before adopting, but it's never too late. I need to make a list and send it to both agencies I worked with. I dutifully read what they recommended, but none was as helpful as what I've found through suggestions from other parents. Ironically I'm downstairs writing in my blog rather than connecting with my child. Well, he's upstairs dancing his heart out to "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer." Exercise is also good for attachment, so all's not lost perhaps.

2) A Rocky Mountain Christmas by John Denver (CD): Ok, laugh if you want. But this CD has "A Baby Just Like You," a song written for his adopted baby boy. I used to like it ok. Now I sob when I hear it. I totally connect to the emotion expressed in it. "You've given back my joy in living; you've filled me with new meaning." Tell me you're not tearing up right now too.

3) An official Syracuse University Otto the Orange orange hoodie. Orange is not my color. But with the basketball team ranked #1 right now, I guess it's finally time for me to have a game day shirt. Perhaps paired with a navy blue turtle neck, it won't be too....orange.

4) Ski pants: to replace the ones I bought when I weighed all of 100 pounds. I guess it's about time. And "Oh yeah, I forgot that we bought those at the ski show!" I can't believe I was actually surprised! Got to wear them yesterday on a three mile hike. They're warm!

5) Mock turtleneck wicking base layer shirt: For winter sports. Yay, now I have two! Now I can got out running in sub-freezing temps twice as much as before!

6) Scarf hanger: To hang my scarves in the closet. Not sure if this was more for me or hubs. But it will be nice to have a second robe hook on the back of the door, as opposed to the plethora of scarves. The plan is to pack some of those scarves into my luggage on my next trip to Ethiopia to "forget" to bring back with me when I visit T's family. You know, wear to the visit, take off, lay it down, and then "forget" about, since I'm not allowed to actually bring gifts. I love my Ethiopian scarf. Perhaps T's female relatives would equally cherish a scarf or two from the U.S. Or wherever they were made.

7) Men's boxers: They make the world's greatest jammie bottoms. Boxers and a t-shirt. Might not make the Victoria's Secret catalog, but comfie. These say "Hot Stuff." Well, once upon a time...

8) Tablecloth: From the kitties. In particular, from Oliver and Genny. Who NEVER get on the table. And then look at me like I'm just some crazy cat lady when I'm yelling at them to get down.

9) Fleece hoodie from my mom. So soft and such a great color. Coffee bean. I love it. I wore it home.

10) A babysitting certificate from my niece and nephew-in-law so Sean and I can go out on the Beantown next time we're out their way. They're both great with T, so a good time will be had by all. The question is: do we do Italian in the North Side, find a good seafood restaurant near the wharfs, head to the Back Bay or try to re-find that great Thai restaurant in Harvard Square? Decisions, decisions...

11) Cordless drill: High quality. From my handyman brother to both Sean and me. I'd say it's more for Sean, but I'm the one who wants to put a new shower in upstairs. Which will require extending a wall. Which means sheet rock screws. And I'm sure I'll come up with other projects where it can be put to use...

And finally, we had an orange kitten in our house on Christmas Day. Just like Christmas Day 1968, when a little orange kitten was waiting for me with a red bow around his neck. It was good to have an orange kitty with us for Christmas again, all these years later.


The cat who came for Christmas.

Comments

  1. The Connected Child is brilliant. I found it so helpful, and yep, wish I'd read it before adopting, but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

The Last Time