Trauma Mama Daily Affirmation Day 14

When the going gets tough, ask myself, "What can I do to connect with my child in this moment?"

I know we've been over this one, but things have been really tough lately, and when I'm at the end of my frayed rope, I need to remember this one.

When he's asked his hundredth nonsense question or picked his thousandth argument or complained about every.single.thing.all.day.long….I need to remember this one.

I've been asking myself, "What can I do to stop feeling like I want to smack sense into this child?" Not hitting him is good -- essential, but connecting with him is better.

Yesterday we played cooperative solitaire. (Is that an oxymoron?)

When he's regulated, I ask him what scares him about having me be in charge of him. He says he's never scared.

Right. He's scared for his life every minute of the day. It's in his cells. It's inescapable. One day he was living happily with his family and the next he was dumped in an orphanage. How do you not live life on high alert every.single.day after that?

What can I do to connect with my child in this moment?
What can I do to connect with my child in this moment?
What can I do to connect with my child in this moment?

Comments

  1. I have been trying to do the same thing! Your timing on this affirmation is perfect! We get the "I'm not scared" comment a ton at our house, too, and oh, I hate that, because I want to just be able to release her from the fear. It must be so hard to live with that fear every day and not even be able to say it out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

Adopting the Older Child -- Part 4: Power Struggles