The Bible on Our Obligation to the Poor, Week 3

Is. 25:4. For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress.


Ps. 10:14. The unfortunate commits himself to You; You have been the helper of the orphan... O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear to vindicate the orphan and the oppressed.


Is 41:17. The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst. I, the LORD, will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them


Prov. 31:8ff. [Commandment to kings.] Open your mouth for the dumb, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.


Jer. 22:3. Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place.


Deut. 26:12. When you have finished paying the complete tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and the widow, that they may eat in your towns, and be satisfied


For all its poverty, Ethiopia is a country rich in beauty. And steeped in a Judeo-Christian history that far predates that of this country, or even that of Europe

And a thought for the guy who stands outside the coffee shop up on the Hill, quietly offering rosaries to passers-by, who this week, probably fueled by the holier-than-thou-sinner-liberals rhetoric coming out of the mouths of those-who-are-not-without-sin Republican presidential candidates, has suddenly decided to start telling people how they should be living -- such as telling S that T's school is lacking because they don't teach about God and saying to our friends that they should have more children because God said that the purpose of marriage is to have children: "Judge not, that ye be not judged." 


I will say it again, because I'm tired of being told I'm not worthy of the kingdom of God -- if there is a kingdom of God -- because of my liberal/progressive views: "Judge not, that ye be not judged." It's right in there. In the Bible. Said by a liberal who cared about the poor and oppressed.


Here it is in its entirety: 


Luke 7:37,41-42: Judge not, that ye be not judged....Why look at the speck in your brother's eye when you miss the plank in your own? 'Bother, let me remove the speck from your eye,' yet fail yourself to see the plank lodged in your own? Hypocrite, remove the plank from your own eye first; then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye.


Please Mr. Rosary-Guy-on-the-Corner, go back your non-judgmental way of trying to share your belief in God. We often commented on how your quiet yet constant dedication was admirable. Do not try to be like the Republican candidates, crawling all over each other attempting to convince voters that they are the most "God-fearing." It's just not what Jesus would do. 

Comments

  1. I often feel very spiritually isolated when I all I hear is hatred masquerading as Christianity and my friends who share my beliefs at a practical level criticize my faith because of those loud mouth right wingers, baffled that I could have a faith they claim to have. Probably most of the people around me are officially Catholic, but disenfranchised from the Church and think of faith as simply turning up at church for major life events. Thank for these Lenten posts Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts, Karen. And I agree with Barbaloot's comment. Many are masquerading right now - I sense a deep seated fear in those screaming the loudest. I hope it is because things are changing..... and for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really strikes so true to me. And in agreement with Barbaloot above, there is truly much masquerading going on. I am sensing a great fear causing all this unchecked religious fervor. My hope is that great change is moving ahead and these people are scared. I can think of no other reason for this hysterical and belittling behavior.

    Change is good. I am firm on that! Thanks for your thoughtful posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves -- Too Quickly

Break My Heart

The Last Time